A rapidly growing real estate investment firm in Calabasas is looking for a Controller to join its team. The firm has carved out a successful niche with multi-unit residential properties. It owns, redevelops, and manages these properties.
Reporting to the CEO, the Controller will concentrate on building a high performing accounting department. This is an exciting opportunity to join an entrepreneurial organization. This person will continuously gain exposure to additional challenges as the company explores new and complex real estate transactions.
The ideal candidate is a hands-on finance professional who has experience working for a real estate investment firm. This person will be capable of managing the overall organization of the department while also handling routine day-to-day accounting responsibilities. This position calls for a self-directed individual who can solve problems independently.
Primary responsibilities will consist of the following:
- Manage the month end close and related processes and procedures
- Manage the books and records for several real estate investment funds
- Hire, manage, and mentor staff
- Manage and reconcile investor capital accounts
- Prepare supporting information for monthly and annual investor reporting
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting to the bank in addition to compliance with loan covenants
- Research the proper accounting treatment for complex real estate transactions
- Assist with the acquisition and disposition of properties
- Manage 1031 exchanges along with related policies
- Develop and maintain a budgeting and forecasting process
- Review expense items and prepare accruals
- Establish and maintain internal controls
- Work with the outside CPA to prepare tax filings
- Ad hoc projects
Qualifications for this position include the following:
- 7+ years of experience in accounting and finance roles with at least 3 years of experience in a Director or Controller level position
- Experience in the real estate industry with a preference for the real estate investment sector
- Familiarity with Yardi
- Solid business acumen and a curiosity and desire to learn about the operations
- CPA preferred
This position will pay a base salary of $135,000 to $165,000 plus discretionary bonus. In addition, the individual will be eligible for a full suite of benefits.